There are actions arts advocates can take throughout the year to support local, state, and federal funding for arts and culture.
Ask your Representatives to join the Congressional Arts Caucus
These NJ Representatives are members of the Congressional Arts Caucus. If your representative is not listed, please invite them to join.
- Bonnie Watson Coleman (D-Dist. 12)
- Josh Gottheimer (D-Dist. 5)
- Donald Norcross (D-Dist. 10)
- Frank Pallone (D-Dist. 6)
- Bill Pascrell, Jr. (D-Dist. 9)
- Donald Payne, Jr. (D-Dist. 10)
- Albio Sires (D-Dist. 8)
Attend the Arts Action Summit in Washington, DC
- Join hundreds of art advocates to visit members of the US Congress for the National Arts Action Summit hosted by Americans for the Arts.
- Check out highlights from this year's event.
Help Save the National Endowment for the Arts
- Visit the Arts Action Fund to stay updated on ways you can support of the arts around the country.
- Use #SavetheNEA when posting on social media.
Write a Letter to the Editor of your local newspaper supporting the arts
Urge Congress to cosponsor the CREATE Act
- The Comprehensive Resources for Entrepreneurs in the Arts to Transform the Economy (CREATE) Act, aims to better support our nation's creative economy.
- Write a letter to your Representatives and Senators asking them to co-sponsor the CREATE Act.
- Find customizable messages for your Representatives and Senators.
Request in-district meetings with federal lawmakers
- US Congress is often on recess around the 4th of July. This is a good time to revisit your legislators (see January).
- Request a meeting to discuss federal funding for the arts and other cultural policy issues. Check in with ArtPride staff to learn where arts funding stands in the budget process.
Attend town halls with Representatives and Senators
- Bring up arts funding to learn how candidates stand on federal support for arts and culture.
- Find a town hall meeting near you.
Celebrate National Arts in Education Week
Celebrate National Arts & Humanities Month
- No matter who you are or where you live there are many ways you can celebrate the arts this October.
- Ask for a local government proclamation -- see a sample.
- See what we're planning for Discover Jersey Arts Month.
- Get the word out to the media, even if you’ve never spoken to the press before! Read our tips on working with the media.
- Make sure you are registered to vote.
- Join the official email list of your state and federal legislators and follow them on social media.
- Find your Representative and Senators in the US Congress.