Newark , NJ
New Jersey Symphony Orchestra
Posted September 05, 2019
The NJSO Academy Coordinator is responsible for on-site operations and administrative and logistical oversight of the NJSO Youth Orchestras’ Training Ensemble, which meets on Saturdays from 11 am–2:30 pm at Arts High School in Newark. The Training Ensemble is part of the NJSO’s Music Advancement for Newark-area Youth (MANY) partnership with NJPAC, which provides instrumental training for students in Newark and the surrounding communities. For detailed descriptions of the education programs that comprise the NJSO Academy, visit njsymphony.org/education.
Duties and Responsibilities● Manage on-site operations of NJSO Training Ensemble and provide logistical and administrative oversight for all classes and ensembles.
● Work with artistic faculty to develop class and ensemble rosters.
● Communicate with students and families about upcoming events, program updates, discipline, attendance and the like.
● Maintain electronic and hard-copy student records.
● Coordinate and track instrumental rentals.
● Prepare music and related materials for distribution to all classes/ensembles.
● Track artistic faculty hours, hire substitutes and assist with payroll processing.
● Assist with program evaluation and assessment.
● Collaborate with colleagues across departments on program documentation and publicity.
● Other duties as assigned.
Requirements● Bachelor’s degree required. Equivalent combination of education/training and experience also acceptable.
● Strong music background required. Familiarity with and ability to tune string instruments a plus.
● Minimum of one year of related experience preferred.
● Demonstrated ability to execute complex logistics and resolve sensitive situations.
● Excellent verbal and written communication, interpersonal and organizational skills, including strong problem‐solving skills.
● Flexibility to adapt to a fast-paced environment and manage multiple priorities while maintaining attention to detail.
● Strong computer skills including Microsoft Office Suite, Google Drive, Dropbox and social media platforms (e.g. Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube).
● Must be able to work during weekend hours and, occasionally, weekday evenings.
● Physical requirements include carrying and setting up music stands, chairs and supplies, and transporting rental instruments.
● Valid driver’s license and access to an automobile are necessary for local and regional NJ travel.
● Must be authorized to work in the US without sponsorship.
● Complimentary tickets to select NJSO concerts
● Travel reimbursement for required activities outside of Newark
● Paid time off, including holiday and sick time
How To Apply
To apply for this position, please email the following items to firstname.lastname@example.org: ● Cover letter Resume ● Names and contact information for three professional references ● Hourly rate requirements The SUBJECT line of email submissions must contain the words “ACADEMY COORDINATOR SEARCH”. Only complete applications will be reviewed; only qualified applicants will be contacted. No phone calls, please. Position will remain open until filled. Please direct all submissions to: Joanna Borowski Director of Education New Jersey Symphony Orchestra 60 Park Place, Suite 900 Newark, NJ 07102 Email: email@example.com The NJSO is an Equal Opportunity Employer that welcomes and values diversity, inclusion and equity in all forms.