Montclair Art Museum
Posted March 24, 2021
The Montclair Art Museum is conducting a search for a full-time, entry-level position of Curatorial Assistant. The person in this position will engage with a full range of the Curatorial Department’s activities, central to the Museum’s mission to collect, preserve, and display American and Native American art from ca. 1200 C.E. to the present. The Curatorial Assistant will work with a lively, varied, upcoming exhibition schedule and an experienced departmental team, including a new Curator of Native American art. This person will assist with an active program of art acquisitions that includes a thirty-year track record of collecting art by underrepresented artists, and addressing research and reproduction requests related to the Museum’s renowned collection of more than 14,000 works.
Duties and Responsibilities• Arrange Curatorial Department meetings and maintain Curatorial Work Schedule (calendar of target due dates for curatorial projects).
• Serve as source of information regarding curatorial affairs and insure that communication lines within members of the Curatorial Department and between the department and others remain open.
• Prepare curatorial and board reports, Art Committee set-up sheets, agendas, minutes, and correspondence, preliminary loan correspondence.
• Handle all departmental purchase orders (including payments for acquisitions of artwork); assist with preparing and monitoring departmental budgets.
• Handle a variety of telephone, email, and mail inquiries (i.e. research requests) in a quick, pleasant, and efficient manner.
• Provide clerical support and supervise occasional part-time clerical support, deliver and pick up mail for Curators, maintain staff attendance sheets.
• Maintain office supplies for Curatorial department; oversee overall maintenance and servicing of office equipment.
• Under direction of Curators, coordinate with all departments to determine and maintain schedule of planning and implementation of specified aspects of exhibitions, including graphics production.
• Prepare sized images of works on exhibition checklists for layout in 3D exhibition models.
• Coordinate access to artworks for study purposes to scholars, etc. with Registrar.
• Monitor catalogue/brochure supply for exhibitions and request more when needed; prepare comment books.
• Update book with continuous list of all exhibitions; maintain exhibition and office files.
• Handle rights and reproduction requests for photography (e.g. for exhibition and collection-based catalogues).
RequirementsThe successful candidate must be highly organized and have excellent clerical, computer, and writing skills. Familiarity with Excel, Microsoft Word, and PowerPoint is required. Training will be offered for collections management database systems, i.e. The Museum Systems, since this individual will be handling collection and exhibition-related data entry. A bachelor’s degree is required; some background in museum studies, art history, especially historical, modern, and/or contemporary American art, or American studies is preferred. Must have rigorous attention to detail and be self-motivated, proactive, flexible, and collaborative.
How To Apply
Please submit a persuasive cover letter and resume with a list of references to firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls please.