Posted July 12, 2021
Passage Theatre (Trenton, New Jersey) seeks a strategic and collaborative Managing Director to provide strong leadership in areas of fiscal strategy, financial management, and theatre management, who will work collaboratively with the Artistic Director and a small team to fulfill Passage's Mission and Vision through our core values of inclusion, community and empathy. Passage Theatre is a vital, growing organization with a commitment to equity, diversity, and inclusion throughout the organization and in all aspects of its work, recognizing this commitment as essential to realizing its mission.
Duties and ResponsibilitiesManaging Director Job Responsibilities
The Managing Director collaborates closely with the Artistic Director, and both report to the theatre's Board of Directors. The Board has approved a $642,000 budget for fiscal 2021-2022. The theatre employs four full-time staff and several part-time staff and consultants.
The Managing Director plays a key role in helping the Board to develop a strategic plan that envisions the theatre's future, and takes the lead in implementing fiscal strategies to achieve strategic priorities through duties like long-term forecasting, annual theatre budgeting, fundraising, and skillful management of competing priorities.
The Managing Director develops and implements long- and short-term fiscal strategies for the organization and subsequent activities, including:
- Overseeing cash flow management;
- Tracking Key Performance Indicators and analyzing trends;
- Forecasting for current and future programs, using knowledge of risk-management methods for forecasting;
- Developing and monitoring budgets;
- Informing key stakeholders of financial status and investment plans;
- Working with Passage’s Board and bookkeeper to ensure all financial operations comply with federal and state laws;
- Presenting monthly, quarterly, and annual financial statements to executives and Board of Directors
- Working with Passage’s bookkeeper on audit activities; and
- Representing the company to funders, donors, and public officials.
Revenue and Resource Development:
The Managing Director leads donor cultivation and stewardship, and donation tracking and recordkeeping, in collaboration with the Artistic Director and the development support team. Fundraising duties include prospect research, donor cultivation, as well as grant writing and budget development. The Managing Director works closely with the Board's Resource-Development/Fundraising Committee to develop and implement annual resource development plans.
The Managing Director supervises and works in collaboration with Passage’s staff and consultants in a collegial and team-oriented approach. The Managing Director oversees contract negotiations with lead artistic staff for productions and Actors Equity, and works with the City of Trenton on issues concerning our venue—the Mill Hill Playhouse, which the city owns. The Managing Director reviews the performance of and negotiates contracts for administrative and operational systems (such as Patron Manager ticketing management software) to support the management, operations, and communications of the theatre. The Managing Director maintains policy manuals developed by the Board and develops and monitors procedures to maintain fidelity to theatre policy in hiring, employment, and other policies to ensure equity, diversity and inclusion.
The Managing Director collaborates closely with the Artistic Director in support of the artistic programs, makes sure that programs receive planned resources on schedule, and helps resolve issues that arise.
RequirementsTraits and Qualifications:
Passage Theatre seeks an innovative and strategic Managing Director with established experience in fiscal strategy and management, strong social skills and an ability to communicate clearly with a wide range of people to build relationships in the community and among supporters.
The Passage Board of Directors expects that the successful candidate will have a mixture, but not all, of the following attributes. The ideal candidate:
- Is a strategic thinker who is able to keep their eye on the mission and vision both for the long-term and the near-term, with exceptional written and social communication skills;
- Has a proven record of development and stewardship of nonprofit organizational or project budgets of a similar size to Passage, and an understanding of how nonprofits are structured;
- Has excellent people skills, with experience collaborating in a multidisciplinary, diverse, and dynamic team;
- Demonstrates resourcefulness in setting priorities, proposing new ways of creating efficiencies, and guiding investment in people and systems;
- Is flexible and a self-starter; able to multitask while also being highly detail-oriented;
- Has personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and a commitment to Passage’s mission;
- Has excellent knowledge of data analysis, risk management and forecasting methods;
- Has analytical and problem-solving skills;
- Has the ability to explain financial terms in simple language; and
- Is committed to working with the local community, to the principles of inclusion, equity and diversity, and is a relationship builder who enjoys interacting with people from varying social and cultural backgrounds
Qualified applicants will have at least five years of professional nonprofit fiscal management, organizational management, or senior-staff level experience, with a proven track record of successfully leading strategic initiatives/projects, fundraising and/or financial management, and staff management.
- Access to reliable transportation;
- Ability to lift 35 pounds;
- Proficiency in the Google suite of programs, MS Excel (can create and manage accurate financial tracking spreadsheets through formula usage and other excel functionality), and Zoom;
- Familiarity with financial management software (e.g. Quickbooks) preferred;
- Familiarity with Patron Manager, or similar ticketing and CRM database software preferred;
- Familiarity with Constant Contact or similar communications tools; and
- Comfort, though not expertise, in managing and posting on Social Media platforms including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, LinkedIn and YouTube.
How To Apply
Please submit your resume and a cover letter of application to Caroline Wylie (Board President) at Passage.Theatre.Application@gmail.com by August 15, 2021. The goal is to find a Managing Director who can start work by the end of September 2021. The Board of Directors recognizes that with the evolution of the COVID pandemic, this may not be possible, and will be flexible about the start date.
Deadline: Aug 15, 2021