Cutter / Draper
New Brunswick, NJ
George Street Playhouse
Posted July 20, 2022
George Street Playhouse, a professional, producing theatre company 40 minutes from Manhattan, seeks a qualified cutter, draper, and seamstress for main stage, 5 show, season, annual Gala Benefit, and other company events.
Duties and ResponsibilitiesEssential Job Duties:
- Assisting the Costume Shop Manager and working with the costume shop on the construction and maintenance of costumes necessary for all George Street Playhouse main stage shows, annual Gala Benefit, and other company events
- Assemble all build information per show including fabric yardage, work lists, and special tools needed
- Draft, flat or drape patterns, cut, construct, and alter costumes in accordance with renderings or research provided by designer
- Assist costume shop with sewing projects, once all draping projects have been completed
Non Essential Job Duties / Other Duties:
- May be asked to work in other areas of the costume shop, such as: dyeing, crafting and distressing
- May be asked to assist with shopping and returns by driving throughout the state as needed
- May be asked to attend costume fittings and assist with measurements and alterations
- Skills in a wide variety of costuming disciplines including: cutting, draping, patterning, sewing (both by hand and on industrial machines)
- Ability to coordinate and prioritize multiple projects at once
- Be a “can-do” team player who can make thoughtful decisions quickly and demonstrates grace under pressure
- Good organizational skills and strong sense of professionalism
- Must be able to remain in a stationary position for periods of time
- A valid driver’s license
- Bachelor’s degree in technical theater, or related field
- 1-2 years of experience working in theatrical production or professional costume shop
- In addition to regular office hours, overtime hours will include evenings, weekends, and early mornings.
- Cutter / Draper is required to participate in techs and previews for each production.
- Cutter / Draper will report to work in an on-site costume shop, but may occasionally be asked to travel into New York City for fittings and purchasing of materials.
- Position may be asked to travel throughout the state to shop for items and make returns as needed.
COVID-19 vaccination, including all eligible boosters, is a condition of employment. COVID policies are updated regularly to reflect the current local and national health recommendations.
George Street Playhouse currently requires all employees to wear respirator style masks (N95, KN95, KF94). Members of the Production Group will also test per the current COVID policy at the company's expense.
Position pays a weekly salary of $850.00 with a benefits package that includes health and dental insurance with annual allowance for out of pocket medical expenses, paid holidays, vacation time, sick leave, overtime, paid parking near the theater and complimentary tickets to George Street Playhouse productions. Position begins August 29, 2022 and runs through May 7, 2023.
How To Apply
How to Apply: Qualified applicants should submit a resume, references, and portfolio photos for consideration to: Christopher Bailey, Production Manager, at firstname.lastname@example.org. The position is available now. George Street Playhouse recognizes the value of diverse experiences, identities and backgrounds and is committed to building an equitable, inclusive and anti-racist organization that is representative of the world in which we live. Candidates who identify as Black, Indigenous or a Person of Color; LGTBQ+ and gender diverse candidates; candidates with disabilities; as well as candidates from historically marginalized groups are all encouraged to apply. We aim to collect a pool of diverse and qualified candidates prior to reviewing resumes; please forward this position to someone you think will be a good fit.
Deadline: Aug 29, 2022