New Brunswick, NJ
George Street Playhouse
Posted July 20, 2022
George Street Playhouse, a professional, producing theatre company 40 minutes from Manhattan, seeks experienced Head Carpenter to assist the Technical Director and work with the scene shop staff in preparation and execution of their 5 show, main stage, season, annual Gala Benefit, and other company events.
Duties and ResponsibilitiesEssential Job Duties:
- Demonstrate experienced carpentry skills, rigging skills and metalwork skills
- Constantly operate industrial, power, and hand tools
- Assist Technical Director and Shop Foreman with the organization and execution of set builds, load ins, and strikes
- Frequently move and transport items and materials weighing 50+ pounds
- Understand and translate scenic drawings
- Communicate accurate information to shop employees
- Manage tool maintenance and supply inventory
- Enforce and follow all Scene Shop safely protocols
Non Essential Job Duties / Other Duties:
- Basic knowledge of theatrical CAD base programs such as Vectorworks and Autocad
- The ability to drive vans and small trucks
- Carpentry skills, including finish and trim
- Rigging skills
- Welding and metalwork skills
- Knowledge and experience with industrial, power, and hand tools
- Must be able to remain in a stationary position for periods of time
- Must be able to move and transport items and materials weighing 50+ pounds
- Must be able to occasionally ascend/descend ladders
- Good organizational skills and strong sense of professionalism
- Ability to lead small teams with a positive attitude
- Ability to coordinate and prioritize multiple projects at once
- Be a “can-do” team player who can make thoughtful decisions quickly and demonstrates grace under pressure
- A valid driver’s license
- Bachelor’s degree in technical theater, or related field
- 1-2 years of experience working in theatrical production or professional scene shop
- In addition to regular office hours, overtime hours will include evenings, weekends, and early mornings.
- Head Carpenter reports to work at the Scene Shop with exposure to loud noises, and various construction materials.
COVID-19 vaccination, including all eligible boosters, is a condition of employment. COVID policies are updated regularly to reflect the current local and national health recommendations.
George Street Playhouse currently requires all employees to wear respirator style masks (N95, KN95, KF94). Members of the Production Group will also test per the current COVID policy at the company's expense.
Position pays a weekly salary of $780.00. Position is a Local I.A.T.S.E. position and includes health and dental benefits, overtime, sick days, paid holidays, and annuity benefits as outlined in the I.A.T.S.E. CBA. Position begins August 29, 2022 and runs through June 4, 2023.
How To Apply
How to Apply: Qualified applicants should submit a resume, references, and portfolio photos for consideration to: Christopher Bailey, Production Manager, at email@example.com. The position is available now. George Street Playhouse recognizes the value of diverse experiences, identities and backgrounds and is committed to building an equitable, inclusive and anti-racist organization that is representative of the world in which we live. Candidates who identify as Black, Indigenous or a Person of Color; LGTBQ+ and gender diverse candidates; candidates with disabilities; as well as candidates from historically marginalized groups are all encouraged to apply. We aim to collect a pool of diverse and qualified candidates prior to reviewing resumes; please forward this position to someone you think will be a good fit.
Deadline: Aug 29, 2022