McCarter Theatre Center
Posted April 06, 2023
As a member of the Stage Operations team, Stage Technicians support all of the plays and events in McCarter’s theaters and in our rehearsal rooms. This position can serve in a variety of capacities on run crews and during load in and strike periods, including but not limited to sound, electrics, prop running, and projections.
Duties and ResponsibilitiesPrincipal Job Responsibilities
• Work load-in, strike, and run crew for produced and presented shows as assigned.
• Function as sound technician, A2, flyperson, props runner, and/or electrician as needed.
• Assist the Stage Supervisor, Sound Engineer, and Head Electrician with equipment maintenance.
• Assist on other Stage Operations projects as time permits.
• Maintain consistent awareness of institutional events, meetings, and other information via company email and other modes of communication.
• Support and engage in safe working practices and follow all McCarter safety and code of conduct policies.
• Participate in the work to make McCarter an antiracist theater. Actively seek ways to improve our work practices to make the Production Department and McCarter as a whole more Equitable and Inclusive.
• In-person work will largely be completed in the theater spaces at 91 University Pl, Princeton, NJ. Available office and desk-space is in a shared office environment.
• Able to lift, push, or maneuver up to 70 lbs., repeatedly.
• Able to climb and work on ladders up to 65 feet high.
• Able to work in full view of the audience (i.e. a vista scene shifts.)
• Strong collaboration and team-oriented communication skills
• Demonstrated proficiency in industry-standard computer programs, including Microsoft Office and Q-Lab.
• Knowledge of standard lighting, video and sound equipment.
• Basic carpentry skills for repair of scenic elements during the run of a show.
• Able to read and understand technical ground plans, sections, sound, and lighting plots, etc.
• Able to make basic repairs on video, sound and electrics equipment.
• Valid driver’s license; able to drive a 26’ box truck or smaller.
• Strong EDIA and antiracism critical consciousness or curiosity and willingness to grow in these areas.
• Start date is contingent upon providing proof of having received a primary series vaccination against COVID-19; subsequent boosters are strongly encouraged, though not required.
How To Apply
We encourage all candidates to apply, even if they do not currently meet all qualifications. We know there are great candidates who may not have all of the qualifications listed above, but possess intuitive knowledge or other fully transferable skills. If that is you, don’t hesitate to apply and tell us about yourself. McCarter is committed to on the job training and mentorship. We also encourage candidates who do not live within commuting distance to apply. We are eager to tell you about the area, which includes many communities and towns outside of Princeton. If you are interested in supporting McCarter’s vision, we would love to hear from you. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with your name and “Stage Technician” in the subject line. You do not need to submit a formal resume, although they are welcome. Do also mention where you heard about the position; no phone calls please. We look forward to learning more about you! McCarter Theatre Center is committed to providing access and reasonable accommodation in the application and hiring process for individuals with disabilities if needed and requested. To request disability accommodation, please contact (609) 258-6500 and connect with Human Resources.