Food and Beverage Manager
McCarter Theatre Center
Posted September 28, 2023
The Food and Beverage manager oversees and manages all aspects of the McCarter’s food and beverage operations for performances and events—including budget and inventory management, team leadership, customer service, menu updates, and compliance with health and safety regulations—as well as retail of merchandise. In addition to serving as our primary bar lead, this position also leads a team of spirited bartenders and plays a pivotal role in enhancing the patron experience at the McCarter's performances and events.
Duties and ResponsibilitiesEssential Functions & Duties
• Oversee the inventory of liquor and concessions, order new supplies, and organize storage spaces
• Work closely with beverage consultant(s) to offer new cocktails and drink offerings to accompany shows and events
• Provide optimal customer experience and maintain an inclusive, welcoming space
• Serve as a primary contact point for outside F&B catering services for events, when required, or procure and plan in-house catering
• Create inventive seasonal offerings, with an understanding of minimizing food cost and maximizing margin, and ensure the freshness of food products
• Design and implement a quick-service protocol for high-volume times (i.e., intermission). Solve problems during service quickly and efficiently, relating to food and beverage quality control, inventory, staffing, equipment malfunctions, or any other issues that may occur during a shift
• Maintain a clean and safe environment, especially with regards to sanitation and health code procedures
• Review accuracy with all point of sale (POS) and cash handling functions; reconcile cash and deposits
• Maximize resources and provide insight to Director of Operations regarding budgeting, operational costs, and featured promotions; maintain and build a comprehensive database of vendors
• Oversee merchandise for Presented Events, including advancing, counting in/out, and settlement
• Lead the entire part-time concessions team by setting an example through excellent work and actively fostering a positive, growth-mindset working culture.
• Oversee part-time staff schedules, time-off requests, and handle last-minute absence coverage
• Delegate roles to staff members based on experience and ability to navigate the flow of service
• Recruit, train, coach, and onboard new staff according to company policies specific to concessions or merchandise
• Provide direction and feedback to all concessions or merchandise staff
• Work evening and weekend hours during performances and events as our lead bartender
• Attend regular departmental and McCarter staff meetings, as requested
• Work with the Events and Operations Manager to execute events with precision and flair
• Fosters camaraderie, creativity, and a positive work environment, while demonstrating grace and perspective in navigating challenges.
• Adhere to safe working practices while embodying McCarter safety and code of conduct policies
• Participate in the work to make McCarter an anti-racist theater. Actively seek ways to improve our work practices to make the Operations department more equitable and inclusive, while upholding and exhibiting our stated values of “justice and joy, beauty and belonging.”
• 2+ years bartending and/or barista experience
• Strong knowledge of alcoholic beverages and cocktail menu
• Leadership experience overseeing a team of staff and the ability to delegate to a crew with diverse skills and identities
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills
•Experience with artist merchandise sales and inventory
• Strong organizational skills including attention to detail
• Solid diplomacy, interpersonal, and teamwork skills
• Experience in building and maintaining relationships
• Ability to work, adjust and make swift decisions under pressure with an aptitude for problem-solving
• Flexibility to work nights, weekends, and occasional holidays as scheduled in advance
• Computer Skills: working knowledge of Square (POS), Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook, etc.) Financial accounting software(s), staffing/payroll solutions; Experience with ArtsVision a strong plus
• A critical consciousness and interest in the values and practices that can help build and sustain an equitable, diverse, and inclusive workplace
• Ability to collaborate with diverse needs, personalities, and work styles with optimism and a solution discovery mindset
• Individuals are strongly encouraged but not currently required to be up to date on COVID-19 vaccinations.
• Final candidate must successfully complete a background check.
• Led by our core values, McCarter fosters and expects a culture of care and respect for the wellbeing of our staff.
• Ability to lift or maneuver up to 50lbs. and stand for extended periods of time.
• In-person work will primarily be completed in the lobbies and bars areas, as well as in a shared office space at 91 University Pl, Princeton, NJ with HVAC cooling/heating.
• This position is required to be on-site and in attendance for performances and events. These will be communicated and scheduled in advance.
•Employees may be asked to use a personal cell phone in order to access authenticator apps and related software necessary for work credentials/multi-factor authentication (MFA). Applicants should be comfortable using their personal devices for these purposes as part of their job responsibilities, as workarounds cannot be guaranteed in order to access certain platforms.
How To Apply
We encourage all candidates to apply, even if they do not currently meet all qualifications. We know there are great candidates who may not have all of the qualifications listed above but possess intuitive knowledge or other fully transferable skills. If that is you, don’t hesitate to apply and tell us about yourself. McCarter is committed to on-the-job training and mentorship. We also encourage candidates who do not live within commuting distance to apply. We are eager to tell you about the area, which includes many communities and towns outside of Princeton. If you are interested in supporting McCarter’s vision, we would love to hear from you. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with your name and “Food and Beverage Manager” in the subject line. Please submit a cover letter and resume. Please also mention where you heard about the position. We look forward to learning more about you!