Assistant House Manager
Mayo Performing Arts Center
Posted December 01, 2021
Mayo Performing Arts Center, a 1,300+ seat non-profit performing arts center in northern NJ, is seeking an Assistant House Manager to supervise and implement all front-of-house activities. Position will include also cross-training in various departments and assisting those departments as needed, including Education and Programming, as needed. The Assistant House Manager will be scheduled based on the theatre’s calendar of events and on an as needed basis at the discretion of the Operations Director.
Duties and ResponsibilitiesResponsibilities include (training is provided):
• Setup and maintain one or more concessions and merchandise areas at performances.
• Assign volunteer responsibilities and manage a staff of (up to) 45 volunteers per performance.
• Ensure the theatre is fully prepared for patron needs at each performance.
• Concessions reconciliation and accounting procedures are necessary, at the beginning and end of all events, to ensure that amounts are correct and that there is adequate change.
• Supervisory skills to direct cleaning and parking companies on every performance.
• Open and oversee theatre lobby, greeting patrons entering the theatre.
• Handle all patron issues (ticketing conflicts, complaints, medical emergencies, etc.) in a positive and friendly and efficient manner.
• Compile and prepare performance reports for Management’s approval.
• Close up the theatre at the end of shift and ensure all patrons have exited and building is secure.
• Other duties required, as necessary, to ensure the successful implementation of events at the theatre.
• Assistant House Managers will be required to assist with bus traffic, and children’s safety for our school time shows. Also responsible to assist children in and out of the facility, greet chaperones/teachers/bus drivers upon arrival, and guide the students outside to waiting chaperones, teachers and guardians.
• Education Department needs door personnel for various classes, at different locations and the Assistant House Manager will cross train for this purpose, at the discretion of the Operations Director. Safety, courtesy and knowledge of class schedules and locations are a prerequisite. Training will be conducted mutually by the Operations and Education Department.
RequirementsRequirements (flexible requirements dependent on applicant’s needs)*:
• High school diploma or equivalent education required; college degree preferred.*
• Excellent customer service skills and communication skills. Will provide training as mandated by Operations Department.
• Computer skills and proficiency with Microsoft Word & Excel are necessary.
• Comfortable with handling and disbursing money; and operating/reporting on a POS system.*
• Willing and able to work day/nights, weekends, and occasional holidays.
• Comfortable with and prior experience working with the public.
• Theater background a plus, but not required.*
• Previous management experience a plus.
• Able to lift up to 50 lbs.*
• Able to stand on your feet for up to 10 hours at a time.*
• Ability to fix and repair seats, frames, light fixture replacements, and spot cleaning in between performances is a plus, but not necessary.*
• Willing and able to pass a criminal background check.*
All employees must maintain a neat, clean, and well-groomed appearance.
How To Apply
Please email resume with cover letter and 3 professional references to Lee@mayoarts.org. Please include RE: Assistant House Manager in subject line. You may also mail cover letter and resume to the attention of Lee Kaloidis, Operations Director. Please no phone calls.