McCarter Theatre Center
Posted May 30, 2022
Please visit https://www.mccarter.org/footer/join-our-team/employment/ for position summary.
Duties and Responsibilities• Procure furniture, hand props and materials, including shop supplies.
• Research in regard to set design
• Paper prop creation through digital graphics and manual craft work
• Light craft/artisan work
• Assist with load-ins, strikes and change-overs
• Manage outgoing rentals of prop stock
• Help maintain and organize prop stock, including digital cataloguing
• Attend some rehearsal and performances as scheduled by supervisor
• Adhere to safe working practices
• Occasional work on run crews as assigned (in place of, not in addition to, shop work)
• Participate in the work to make McCarter an anti-racist theater. Actively seek ways to improve our work practices to make the Production Department more Equitable and Inclusive.
Requirements• Prior experience working with props
• Ability to complete projects on time and faithful to designer’s intent.
• Ability to collaborate with team members in order to problem solve and create plans.
• Strong skills in Photoshop, Microsoft Word and Excel
• Basic craft, carpentry and/or sewing skills.
• Knowledge of furniture styles, and familiarity with general design concepts.
• General knowledge of hand and power tools
• Good eye for color, proportions, period and style.
• Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously.
• Ability to work unsupervised.
• Ability to prioritize
• Ability to lift and carry 30 lbs
• Ability to climb and work on a ladder.
• Ability to work on one’s feet for long periods.
• Willingness to work 40 hours a week or more on a semi-flexible schedule.
• Valid driver’s license; experience driving larger vehicles, including cargo vans.
• Willingness to engage in conversations as McCarter builds a culture of Inclusion
How To Apply
We encourage all candidates to apply, even if they do not currently meet all qualifications. We know there are great candidates who may not have all of the qualifications listed above but possess intuitive knowledge or other fully transferable skills. If that’s you, don’t hesitate to apply and tell us about yourself. McCarter is committed to on the job training and mentorship. We also encourage candidates who do not live within commuting distance to apply. We are eager to tell you about the area, which includes many communities and towns outside of Princeton, and will discuss what it would mean for you to relocate. If you are interested in supporting McCarter’s artistic vision, we would love to hear from you. Please email email@example.com with “Prop Shopper” in the subject line to introduce yourself. Please let us know your skills and any applicable work experience. You do not need to submit a formal resume, although they are welcome. Please also mention where you heard about the position.