ArtPride works with elected officials, policy makers, community leaders, and collaborating partners to advance a public policy agenda that focuses on local, state, and federal issues of concern facing New Jersey's creative sector.
New Jersey Arts Recovery Policy Recommendations
- Support S2016 formerly known are S2800/A4233 which appropriates American Rescue Plan funds to support a more complete recovery of New Jersey’s arts and culture sector. Visit https://artpridenj.org/actnow for more information.
- Advocate for continued and increased support from private foundations and corporations for arts and culture recovery.
- Support the New Jersey Arts & Culture Renewal Fund efforts to provide financial support for struggling small, mid-sized, and historically underserved cultural organizations.
Public Policy Agenda
- Maintain annual cultural project appropriations for the New Jersey State Council on the Arts and New Jersey Cultural Trust
- Maintain the New Jersey State Council on the Arts peer review panel process that assures impartiality & accountability.
- Assure that public funding for arts and culture lessens barriers to access and provides opportunities for artists and programs that are historically underrepresented.
- Preserve “Percent for Art” legislation that commissions public art in state buildings
- Dedicate state funds to maintain and preserve public art.
- Continue bipartisan support and robust funding for the National Endowment for the Arts (NEA) in the FY 2024 Interior Appropriations bill at no less than $211 million to broaden access to the cultural, educational, and economic benefits of the arts.
- Support the Advancing Equity Through the Arts and Humanities Act to assist in addressing systemic racism through the arts and humanities in the United States.
- Support the Performing Artists Tax Parity Act (PATPA), which will update and increase the income ceiling to $100,000 for individuals and $200,000 for married joint filers, allowing many more lower and middle-income performing artists to receive tax relief for work-related expenses.
Art in Communities – Public Value & Solutions to Social Issues
- Conduct research on arts participation and economic activity (Arts in Economic Prosperity Studies)
- Partner with the National Consortium on Creative Placemaking, Sustainable Jersey, NJ League of Municipalities and Housing & Community Development Network of New Jersey where possible.
- Work with Destination Marketing Organizations throughout New Jersey to Increase cultural tourism in New Jersey
- Encourage Cultural (Artist) Districts, cultural plan development, and arts inclusion in Municipal master plans
- Continue support for NJ Mayors Committee on Arts & Culture.
- Support Arts in Healthcare initiatives (Cultural Access Network, NJPAC Arts & Healing Program)
- Strengthen equitable access to arts education through the Well- Rounded Education provisions of the Every Student Succeeds Act (ESSA).
- Support federal funding of the U.S. Department of Education’s Assistance to Arts Education program at $40 million.
- Support the Arts Ed Now campaign to increase student participation in the arts
- Advance STEM to STEAM arts integration initiatives
- Support The Charitable Act to expand and extend the expired non- itemized deduction for charitable giving.
Have a question regarding our Public Policy Agenda? Contact Vincent Hall in our advocacy department.