Manager of Special Events
New Jersey Symphony
Posted January 13, 2023
The Manager of Special Events plans, executes and manages large- and small-scale in-person and virtual events to support organizational goals. This individual oversees the planning, coordination, and execution of Special Events, including galas, auctions, raffles, receptions and other donor-centric events for the Symphony. This position requires exceptional project management skills, communications and writing skills, high attention to detail, and strong interpersonal skills. The candidate should have the ability to manage multiple priorities and projects independently, and the desire to take initiative as well as work as part of a cohesive development and marketing team. In addition, the individual is responsible for developing solicitation plans and proposals for event sponsorships.
Duties and ResponsibilitiesCORE RESPONSIBILITIES
Event Design and Management
• Document and maintain clear systems, processes and timelines to support the execution of successful events. Serve as the primary point of contact for NJ Symphony fundraising and donor events.
• Manage, plan and execute multiple small- and large-scale events to support the Symphony’s marketing and fundraising goals including: large and small in-person events, donor engagement activities, donor travel events.
• Collaborate both with external partners and cross-functionally across the organization to support organizational goals and promote events with key stakeholders, donors, partners when appropriate.
• Spearhead creation of event sponsorship benefit packages and collaborate with development team on donor outreach.
• Create event goals, timelines and budgets and maintain a financial overview for fundraising events.
• Manage on-site event timeline, volunteers, staff and vendors.
• Oversee relationships and contracts with vendors and consultants to ensure high-quality and timely delivery of services.
• Oversee a donor benefits and cultivation program that includes the planning and production of concert receptions, backstage tours, open rehearsals, recognition events, cultivation receptions and program site visits.
• Yearly events include, but are not limited to:
o Opening Night Celebration/Fall Gala
o Lunar New Year Celebration
o Spring into Music Gala and Auction/Spring Gala
o Donor appreciation and cultivation events
o Board of Trustee events
• Devise and execute strategies to increase event revenues and contain expenses to maximize net proceeds.
• Develop revenue and expense projections and regular financial progress reports.
• Maintain budget accounting and reporting for special events.
• Reconcile and submit vendor invoices for payment.
• Prepare event-related donor invoices.
• Manage in-kind support for special events.
• Maintain files and paperwork for events.
• Bachelor’s degree and a minimum of three years of experience or equivalent combination of education/training and experience.
• Advanced MS Office skills.
• Experience working with a CRM database such as Tessitura, Raiser’s Edge, Salesforce, etc.
• Demonstrate a high level of professionalism.
• Is extremely poised and is comfortable addressing a variety of audiences, both internal and external, with a professional demeanor.
• Possess extraordinary attention to detail with the ability to think critically about tasks at hand.
• Demonstrate appreciation for working in an environment where sensitivity and confidentiality is required.
• Possess the ability to adjust quickly to constantly changing priorities and be responsive to feedback.
Hours: Full time, Monday through Friday. We are currently a hybrid office, with employees in office two days a week. Additional evenings and weekends are required, specifically for working at events, concerts and meetings in multiple locations throughout northern and central New Jersey.
The New Jersey Symphony celebrates the cultural vibrancy of our communities and builds meaningful relationships that elevate and strengthen them. We seek to create a culture of inclusion and a work environment that values hard work, professionalism and creativity. We are committed to diversity and equal opportunity in our recruitment and hiring. Qualified candidates of all backgrounds are welcome to apply for open positions.
How To Apply
TO APPLY Please email resume and cover letter to Staffing Boutique, Inc directly at: Dana@staffingboutique.org (include “NJ Symphony Manager of Special Events” in the subject line) The New Jersey Symphony is an equal opportunity employer. No phone calls please.