Events and Operations Manager
McCarter Theatre Center
Posted September 28, 2023
As a highly engaged and organized team member, the Events and Operations Manager will help create memorable events experiences for both internal and external partners and is a key member of the Operations team. They will work with the Director of Operations to support internal and external events, meetings, and rentals as well as general functions of the building, handling logistics for each and acting as the main point of contact for related issues. For external events and rentals, this team member will help to raise awareness of McCarter as a venue for events in the community, offer tours of the space, agree on booking terms, and work with fellow team members at McCarter to ensure that deliverables promised in the event contract are delivered.
Duties and ResponsibilitiesEssential Functions & Duties
• Work with the Director of Operations to plan and facilitate logistics for internal and external events, including contract negotiations, venue preparation and breakdown, catering, entertainment, equipment, and décor, all while meeting strict deadlines and budget demands.
• Coordinate and collaborate with McCarter staff and vendors to establish a timeline and needs for events, including the annual Gala; serve as liaison among McCarter leadership and key departments throughout the planning process.
• Work independently and with the marketing team to promote awareness of the McCarter as a venue for community events
• Manage and communicate issues and areas for improvement with transparency and care
• Act as a liaison for the facility during the course of the event.
• Work with the Food and Beverage Manager to execute events with precision and flair
• Maintain event-related information in ArtsVision, McCarter’s internal online calendar and database.
• Manage and schedule casual staff to support events.
• Maintain and build a comprehensive database of vendors
• Facilitate and organize a monthly office supplies order for the full staff, with the assistance of the BOLD Artistic and Office Assistant.
• Assist the Director of Operations in departmental management, often by providing administrative support for daily operations.
• Cross-train to support House Management and merchandise as needed.
• Fosters camaraderie, creativity, and a positive work environment, while demonstrating grace and perspective in navigating challenges.
• Adhere to safe working practices while embodying McCarter safety and code of conduct policies
• Participate in the work to make McCarter an anti-racist theater. Actively seek ways to improve our work practices to make the Operations department more equitable and inclusive, while upholding and exhibiting our stated values of “justice and joy, beauty and belonging.”
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills
• Strong organizational skills including attention to detail and ability to pivot between multiple projects
• Project and time management skills; ability to prioritize tasks
• Ability to delegate to a crew with diverse skills and identities.
• Strong diplomacy, interpersonal, and teamwork skills
• Experience working as a stage or events manager
• Experience in building and maintaining relationships
• Ability to work, adjust, and make swift decisions under pressure
• Self-motivation, enthusiasm and a desire for professional development
• Customer service skills
• Flexibility to work nights, weekends, and some holidays, as scheduled in advance
• Ability to lift or maneuver 50lbs. and stand for extended periods of time.
• Computer Skills: working knowledge of Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook, etc.) and financial software. Experience with ArtsVision and Computer Automated Drafting is helpful, but not required
• A critical consciousness and interest in the values and practices that can help build and sustain an equitable, diverse, and inclusive workplace
• Ability to collaborate with diverse needs, personalities, and work styles with optimism and a solution-discovery mindset
• Individuals are strongly encouraged but not currently required to be up to date on COVID-19 vaccinations.
• Valid U.S. driver’s license
• Ability to read and understand technical drawings
• Led by our core values, McCarter fosters and expects a culture of care and respect for the wellbeing of our staff.
• In-person work will primarily be completed in a shared office space at 91 University Pl, Princeton, NJ with HVAC cooling/heating. There are opportunities for certain tasks to be completed remotely.
• This position is required to be on-site and in attendance for performances and events. These will be communicated and scheduled in advance.
• Employees may be asked to use a personal cell phone in order to access authenticator apps and related software necessary for work credentials/multi-factor authentication (MFA). Applicants should be comfortable using their personal devices for these purposes as part of their job responsibilities, as workarounds cannot be guaranteed in order to access certain platforms.
How To Apply
We encourage all candidates to apply, even if they do not currently meet all qualifications. We know there are great candidates who may not have all of the qualifications listed above but possess intuitive knowledge or other fully transferable skills. If that is you, don’t hesitate to apply and tell us about yourself. McCarter is committed to on-the-job training and mentorship. We also encourage candidates who do not live within commuting distance to apply. We are eager to tell you about the area, which includes many communities and towns outside of Princeton. If you are interested in supporting McCarter’s vision, we would love to hear from you. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with your name and “Events and Operations Manager” in the subject line. Please submit a cover letter and resume. Please also mention where you heard about the position. We look forward to learning more about you!