Audience Services Manager
McCarter Theatre Center
Posted September 28, 2023
The Audience Services Manager is a core member of McCarter’s Operations team, facilitating and leading Front of House to create a highly engaging and welcoming atmosphere for our patrons. This position manages scheduling of part-time employees, as well as volunteers, maintains appropriate safety procedures, and collaborates with McCarter staff and outside vendors to best support and promote McCarter performances and events. This position will also have a leadership role in patron access programs and ADA compliance.
Duties and ResponsibilitiesEssential Functions & Duties
· Lead the entire part-time and volunteer Front of House team by setting an example through excellent work and actively fostering a positive, growth-mindset working culture.
· Provide optimal customer experience and maintain an inclusive, dynamic, and welcoming space
· Compile and distribute relevant information regarding performances to the Front of House team
· Work evening and weekend afternoon hours during performances and events, acting as primary House Manager
· Oversee part-time staff schedules, time-off requests, and handle last minute absence coverage
· Delegate roles to staff members based on experience and ability
· Recruit, train, coach, and onboard new staff according to company policies specific to Front of House; provide on-the-spot direction and feedback to staff
· Develop processes and policies to meet strategic goals and standards, as they relate to Front of House. Areas of concentration include patron interaction, parking, and safety
· Serve as point person on staff for our Patron Access programs and for ensuring ADA compliance, with staff designation of ADA Coordinator.
·Serve on McCarter’s Safety Committee
· Attend regular departmental and McCarter staff meetings
· Work with the Events and Operations Manager, and Food and Beverage Manager to execute events with precision and flair
· Fosters camaraderie, creativity, and a positive work environment, while demonstrating grace and perspective in navigating challenges.
· Adhere to safe working practices while embodying McCarter safety and code of conduct policies
· Participate in the work to make McCarter an anti-racist theater. Actively seek ways to improve our work practices to make the Operations department more equitable and inclusive, while upholding and exhibiting our stated values of “justice and joy, beauty and belonging.”
· Leadership experience overseeing a team of staff
· Excellent written and verbal communication skills
· Strong organizational skills including attention to detail
· Ability to delegate to a crew with diverse skills and identities.
· Solid diplomacy, interpersonal, and teamwork skills
· Experience in building and maintaining relationships
· Ability to work, adjust, and make swift decisions under pressure
· Strong problem-solving aptitude
· Flexibility to work nights, weekends and some holidays, as scheduled in advance
· Ability to lift or maneuver 20lbs. and stand for extended periods of time.
· Computer Skills: working knowledge of Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook, etc.); Experience with staffing/payroll software and ArtsVision not required, but helpful
· A critical consciousness and interest in the values and practices that can help build and sustain an equitable, diverse, and inclusive workplace
· Ability to collaborate with diverse needs, personalities, and work styles with optimism and a solution-discovery mindset
· Individuals are strongly encouraged but not currently required to be up to date on COVID-19 vaccinations.
· CPR and First Aid training
· Led by our core values, McCarter fosters and expects a culture of care and respect for the wellbeing of our staff.
· In-person work will primarily be completed in a shared office space at 91 University Pl, Princeton, NJ with HVAC cooling/heating. There are opportunities for certain tasks to be completed remotely.
· This position is required to be on-site and in attendance for performances and events. These will be communicated and scheduled in advance.
· Employees may be asked to use a personal cell phone in order to access authenticator apps and related software necessary for work credentials/multi-factor authentication (MFA). Applicants should be comfortable using their personal devices for these purposes as part of their job responsibilities, as workarounds cannot be guaranteed in order to access certain platforms.
How To Apply
We encourage all candidates to apply, even if they do not currently meet all qualifications. We know there are great candidates who may not have all of the qualifications listed above but possess intuitive knowledge or other fully transferable skills. If that is you, don’t hesitate to apply and tell us about yourself. McCarter is committed to on-the-job training and mentorship. We also encourage candidates who do not live within commuting distance to apply. We are eager to tell you about the area, which includes many communities and towns outside of Princeton. If you are interested in supporting McCarter’s vision, we would love to hear from you. Please email email@example.com with your name and “Audience Services Manager” in the subject line. Please submit a cover letter and resume. Please also mention where you heard about the position. We look forward to learning more about you!